FULL-TEXT
SEARCH CHANGED WHAT I THOUGHT I KNEWABOUT MY THIRD GREAT GRANDFATHER GRANDISON PHILPOTT
I was surprised by what I found.
I have spent close to thirty years learning everything I could about my 3-times great grandfather, Grandison Philpott who lived in North Carolina. I wrote a story about him. I felt I knew him. Then, I found a court case using Full-text Search on FamilySearch. The testimonies of his two grandsons and of himself were enlightening.
First, some background information:
Grandison had two daughters—Isabella and Elizabeth Jemima. I descend from Elizabeth Jemima who moved west with her husband Umpstead Rencher. (Yes, I know. Strange names!) Isabella stayed in North Carolina with her husband Calvin Rogers. Per census records, I knew Grandison lived with Isabella and Calvin in Wake County, rather than in Granville County where he had originally lived. But, I thought Isabella took him in to live with her in his old age. Instead, his testimony in this court case proved it was the other way around. The home in Wake County where they lived, I discovered, had belonged to Grandison’s second wife, Mrs. Mary Ann Nichols. (His first wife, my grandmother Elizabeth Clements, had died a few days after the birth of her second daughter Elizabeth Jemima.) When his wife Mary Ann became ill, Grandison invited Isabella and Calvin to live with them. This fact was in Grandison’s deposition in this same court case described below. I had not known that.
Question 1.
I did hear such a conversation, I don’t remember the date, the day nor month,
but I think it was in 1873, in the kitchen. As I went in the Kitchen by a side door I heard
mother ask grand pop for a deed for his two thirds interest in the land that she was
then living on, and she said that she was afraid to trust this Rogers blood for you see
how he, Calvin J. Rogers, has treated me. He told her that he did not care How he (C. J. Rogers), had treated her. He knew how they both had treated him, that he
would give theland to his grandchildren & he did not care if they turned them
both out of doors. ...
.
. .
150 years ago. Imagine how this deposition would change what you thought you knew.
This is not the entire story. However, the brief portion contained here paints a very
different picture than what I originally had known.
Estate Records: Wake. Probate Case Files 1663-1978. "Wake, North Carolina, United States records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GP5D-99D9?view=explore : Jul 1, 2026), images 1119 to 1121; North Carolina. Division of Archives and History. Image Group Number: 004852037
No comments:
Post a Comment